While we recognise that Manningtree, Lawford and Mistley face challenges, we feel that a large, new Tesco superstore will not be part of the solution. In fact we’re convinced it will deplete the quality of life here in a town with a distinctive character. Who wants to live in a clone town? We believe in a re-vitalised, thriving High Street, and the continued existence of small stores in Manningtree and local villages.
We are against Tesco's proposal for a number of key reasons
- Significant increase in traffic congestion danger on our streets
- Destruction of our existing High Street and twice weekly market
- Village shops are closing at an alarming rate. Closure of stores in villages such as East Bergholt, Dedham, Brantham and Mistley could cause serious problems. Should Manningtree Coop close we would also lose our Post Office
- Our existing CO-OP store is about to be revitalised and expanded (we are in constant contact to assist them in improving their services)
- Likelihood that Tesco will expand their gateway' development further once on site
- Tesco's overwhelming grip on shopping in our area already. There is already a Tesco Express in Manningtree and 10 other stores within a 10 mile radius, not to mention the other big supermarkets.
- The proposed store is far too large to serve the needs of the local community, and will depend on people coming from surropunding areas by car. The picture below shows the Tesco site superimposed on the High Street area of Manningtree. The Tesco area is vast and out of keeping with the existing town.
We recognise that Manningtree, Lawford and Mistley face challenges, but feel that a large, new Tesco superstore will not be part of the solution. We're convinced it will make the quality of life here in our community worse - far worse.